Re: composite link - candidate for respin, maybe

Subject: Re: composite link - candidate for respin, maybe
From: Tony Li
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:37:01 -0700
Hi John,

> The e-mail to which I was replying stated that there might be packet
> re-ordering, and I was just pointing out that a reasonable
> implementation can avoid either packet re-ordering or loss.

I have to respectfully disagree.

The case that Dave points out is exactly right: if a router is transitioning
to a link of lower delay, then has no choice but to risk mis-ordering
packets.  The only other implementation alternative is to actually buffer
them, which has some horrible side-effects for congestion control.

Alternatively, if you have some magic that you're willing to share with us
wherein you can get some packets to move faster than others, we'd love to
know about it.  ;-)

Tony