Re: composite link - candidate for respin, second try

Subject: Re: composite link - candidate for respin, second try
From: Curtis Villamizar
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:29:23 -0400
In message <[email protected]>
John E Drake writes:

> Curtis,
>
> We have also used the terms 'containing LSP' and 'contained LSP'.
> 'Hierarchical LSP' also generally refers to the containing LSP.  For MPLS-TP,
> Adrian introduced the term 'Path Segment Tunnel', which is a hierarchical LSP
> used for segment recovery.
>
> Additional comments inline.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

If information is aggregated into a link bundle, then no.  More than
one metric cannot be advertised for the bundle to indicate that it is
a bundle of two different types of links.  Some LSP may care about the
difference, others may not care.

> >   4.  A mechansism is needed to signal an LSP such that a component
> >       link with specific characteristics are chosen, if a preference
> >       exists.  For example, the shortest delay may be required for
> >       some LSP, but not required for others.
> [JD]
>
> See above.

An example I gave (the example doesn't belong here) is a bundle with M
links with lower bandwdith but lower delay and N links with higher
bandwidth but higher delay.  Some LSP may want to pick one of the M
with lower delay.  Others may not care.  A means to signal that
preference (or lack of) is needed.

> >   5.  LSP signaling is needed to indicate a preference for placement
> >       on a single component link and to specifically forbid spreading
> >       that LSP over multiple component links based on flow
> >       identification beyond the outermost label entry.
> [JD]
>
> See
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-explicit-resource-control-bundle/

That is not what we are trying to accomplish.

> > [CV] Awaiting concensus.  What I had in mind was two choices, outer
> > only or all.  Do others think we need to specify looking some fixed
> > depth into the stack for the hash for a given LSP?  If so we need to
> > discuss possible forwarding speed consequences (hash and lookup can't
> > be done in parallel with hash disposed of if not needed).
> >
> >   6.  A means to support non-disruptive reallocation of an existing
> >       LSP to another component link is needed.
> [JD]
>
> If an LSP is assigned to a specific component link, RFC 5150
> (http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5150/) (a one hop LSP on the
> assigned component link) and MBB can be used to move the LSP
> non-disruptively to another component link.

The requirements document does not specify solutuions.  If the WG may
pick that solution or they may pick another solution if another
solution better meets the full set of the requirements.

> >   7.  A means to populate the TE-LSDB with information regarding which
> >       links (per end) can support distribution of large LSP across
> >       multiple component links based on the component flows and the
> >       characteristics of this capability.  Key characteristics are:
> >
> >     a.  The largest single flow that can be supported.  This may
> >         or may not be related to the size of component links.
> >
> >     b.  Characteristics of the flow identification method.  [These
> >         can be enumberated in this document or a later document. ]
> >
> >     c.  Characteristics of the flow adjustment method.  [These
> >             can be enumberated in this document or a later document. ]
> >
> >   8.  Some means is needed to specify desired characteristics of flow
> >       distribution for an LSP, regardless of whether the LSP is set up
> >       using RSVP-TE, LDP, or management plane.  Behaviour for IP must
> >       be configured using the management plane.  These characteristics
> >       include:
> >
> > [CV] Reworded above paragraph to indicate that LDP and static LSP and
> > IP are not omitted from this definition.  Note that LDP can give
> > guidance but does not support TE so it can't be rejected and go
> > elsewhere if the guidance can't be followed.
> >
> >     a.  The largest flow expected.
> >
> >         b.  Characteristics of load adjustment.  For example, a
> >             maximum change frequency might be specified.  [These can
> >             be enumberated in this document or a later document. ]
> >
> >   9.  In some cases it may be useful to measure link parameters
> >       and reflect these in metrics.  Link delay is an example.
> >
> >  10.  Some uses require an ability to bound the sum of delay metrics
> >       along a path while otherwise taking the shorted path related to
> >       another metric.  Algorithms for accomplishing this are applied
> >       at an ingress, PCE, or in the management system and are out of
> >       scope.
> >
> > [CV] Limited scope above.
> >
> >  11.  Impact of load balancing on OAM and mitigation techniques
> >       applicable to OAM must be documented.
> >
> >  12.  Load balancing techniques must not oscillate.
> >
> > [CV] Added above two based on Dave's comments.
> >
> > [CV] Took suggestion to move use scenarios to framework.

Curtis