RE: composite link - candidate for respin, second try

Subject: RE: composite link - candidate for respin, second try
From: "Mcdysan, David E"
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:19:28 -0400
Hi Curtis,

A number of comments in line below.

Thanks,

Dave

.verizon.com>
> "Mcdysan, David E" writes:
> >
> > Hi Curtis,
> >
> > Catching up on this thread again. Thanks for the
> consolidation to ease
> > commenting.
> >
> > First a few general comments
> > * Rewriting the existing draft does not mean that the intent of
> > requirements there should not be included in the rewrite. In some
> > cases, my comment is to rewrite the intent of text from the
> previous draft.
> > * Second, you seem to have a different recollection from
> the meeting
> > than I do. I heard several wg members wanting to hear more about
> > service provider problems to be solved (what you called
> > "storytelling"), while you seem to want to focus on writing
> up prior
> > work as background. We need to get wg member and chair
> feedback in this area.
> >
> > Some detailed comments in line below.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave
>

> Yes this is a fast moving thread.
>
> I had put a placeholder at the end for use cases but you indicated in
> prior email a preference to put that in the framework.  I'll put the
> placeholder back and you can provider the text.
>
> I've tried to capture what was agreed to in the meeting.

I believe you have captured what you stated at the mike. This is good
input, but it is only part of the problem statement. Alex volunteered
you to be author at this point. If you are interpreting this as the
definitive statement that this is the only problem to be solved, then I
believe this is incomplete -- see my comment below.

> In
> the meeting it seemed to me that the conclusion was that the original
> focused too much on constraining the solution and we should focus on
> requirements with as little constraint on solutions as possible.

I have a different recollection. When I made statements at the mike, I
asked the chair and the wg if this was the type of text that was
requested in the document and saw people nodding their heads yes. These
fell in the general category of problems to be solved by network
operators.

Also, as commented by several people to your version already, there are
some aspects that are solution oriented, or assume a specific form of
solution. As others have pointed out, some of the current text is
solution oriented and we need to separate that from requirements (in
addition to clarifying it). I have inserted comments to try and identify
the specific text which may be creating this issue.

> If there are missed requirements that are agreed to by the WG we can
> add them.  I think what we have now reasonably captures what we
> discussed at the meeting.
> If we want to add further requirements, then we need to bring them up
> and discuss them on the list.

I have been drafting another version of a rewrite that is from the
network operator perspective of problems to be solved. I hope to be able
to send this out late this week or early next.

> Curtis

I think that we also need to add in the multi-layer network definition
from G.800 -- as mentioned in the meeting, this is currently in the
framework document.

> [...]
> > >   ordered set of label numbers can safely be assumed to contain a
> > >   group of flows.  The reordering of traffic can therefore be
> > >   considered to be acceptable unless reordering occurs
> within traffic
> > >   containing a common unique set of label stack entries.  Existing
> > >   load splitting techniques take advantage of this property in
> > >   addition to looking beyond the bottom of the label stack and
> > >   determining if the payload is IPv4 or IPv6 to load
> balance traffic
> > >   accordingly.
> > >
> > >   For example a large aggregate of IP traffic may be
> subdivided into a
> > >   large number of groups of flows using a hash on the IP
> source and
> > >   destination addresses.  This is as described in [diffserv
> > >   framework].  For MPLS traffic carrying IP, a similar hash can be
> > >   performed on the set of labels in the label stack.
> These techniques
> > >   are both examples of means to subdivide traffic into
> groups of flows
> > >   for the purpose of load balancing traffic across aggregated link
> > >   capacity.  The means of identifying a flow should not
> be confused
> > >   with the definition of a flow.
> > >
> > >   Discussion of whether a hash based approach provides a
> sufficiently
> > >   even load balance using any particular hashing
> algorithm or method
> > >   of distributing traffic across a set of component links
> is outside
> > >   of the scope of this document.
> > >
> > >   The current load balancing techniques are referenced in
> [RFC4385]
> > >   and [RFC4928].  The use of three hash based approaches
> are described
> > >   in [RFC2991] and [RFC2992].  A mechanism to identify
> flows within PW
> > >   is described in [draft-ietf-pwe3-fat-pw].  The use of hash based
> > >   approaches is mentioned as an example of an existing set of
> > >   techniques to distribute traffic over a set of component links.
> > >   Other techniques are not precluded.
> > >
> > > [CV] Added RFC references.
> >
> > Where is the place for text on the description of service provider
> > problems? I recall the wg asking for this, and the
> acknowledgement of
> > further work could be in an Appendix (not counting against
> the 7 page
> > quota).
>

> I was going to put that at the end.  In my email to you I had a note
> saying so and a place holder at the end that use cases would be there.

> You may have missed this and thought use cases meant something else
> and not the specific service provider problems.  I think the problems
> should be stated in general terms, called use cases rather than
> service provider problems, and at the end.
>
> I'm hoping that is OK with you.  Use cases are intended to add to
> clarity through examples and as such belong as an appendix.  The main
> body of the document should be a concise statement of technical

Let me do a draft of this content and distribute for review and comment.
Once we have the pieces as a wg we can better see how they fit together.

> > > Requirements:
> > >
> > >   These requirements refer to link bundling solely to
> provide a frame
> > >   of reference.

Is this really necessary? I believe this approach at least creates the
impression that a specific form of solution is being proposed (i.e.,
summarization of information). If we start with the problems to be
solved, we may be able to better undertand how information is used, how
often it changes and may not decide to start with the link bundling
concept.

This requirements document does not intend to
> > >   constrain a solution to build upon link bundling.

However, it appears to be written with this (implicitly) in mind.

Meeting these
> > >   requirements useing extensions to link bundling is not
> precluded, if
> > >   doing so is determined by later IETF work to be the
> best solution.
> > >

> > As noted previously, not all requirements necessarily fit into the
> > link bundling frame of reference.
>

> One again.  If the WG decides not to build on link bundle that
> decision is not part of the phase we are in which is agreeing on what
> the requirements are.

I think Tony is disagreeing with at least part of this assumption as
well.

> > >   0.  The IETF imposes the following requirement on new
> protocol work:
> > >
> > >       a.  New protocols should not be invented where existing
> > >           protocols can be extended to meet the same requirments.
> > >
> > >       b.  Protocol extensions must retain compatibility
> with widely
> > >           implemented and widely deployed protocols and
> practices to
> > >           the greatest extent possible.
> > >
> > > [CV] Added this as a reminder to all of us.  If anyone has a
> > > citation for either of these points, that would help.  The wording

> > > should be approximately right and the spirit of this wording
> > > consistent with IETF process.  Maybe its just the routing area
> > > that imposes these restrictions.  Help from chairs or ADs on this
> > > would be appreciated.

a. seems like a paraphrasing of a statement I recall being made by Mike
O'Dell. Not sure if it is a requirement. b. was in the previous draft
and is a good goal.

> > >   The first few requirements listed here are met or
> partially met by
> > >   existing link bundling behavior including common
> behaviour that is
> > >   implemented when the all ones address (for example
> 0xFFFFFFFF for
> > >   IPv4) is used.  This common behaviour today makes use
> of a hashing
> > >   technique as described in the introduction, though
> other behaviours
> > >   are not precluded.
> > >
> > >   1.  Aggregated control information which summarizes multiple
> > >       parallel links into a single advertisement is
> required to reduce
> > >       information load and improve scaleability.
> >
> > Suggest that the requirement be worded so that the wg can
> make a more
> > objective decisions between candidate solution approaches. "reduce
> > information load and improve scaleability" is vague - could be
> > interpreted as message load due to flooding, storage, computation,
> > signaling rate, etc.
>

> Would it help if I replaced "is required" with "is desireable"?
>
> That might squelch a lot of quibbling over whether we advertise every
> component or groups of components with common attributes.
>
> Then after we have agreement on everything else we can debate the
> relative merit of this particular requirements.

Changing a few words doesn't help. Need more specific requirements, this
is too vague. I think the problems to be solved will help here. Still
very vague. The solution oriented discussion focused on this area should
help as discover some implied requirements as well.

> > >   2.  A means to support very large LSP is needed,
> including LSP whose
> > >       total bandwidth exceeds the size of a single
> component link but
> >                                               than the sum of the
> > >       whose traffic has no single flow greater ^  the
> component links.
> >
> > Still unclear. Is the above what you meant?
>

> I can see where this could be improved.  Your assumption that the
> placement of an up arrow in word/outlook is somehow preserved is not
> helping because it ends up a jumble.
>
> The original is:
>
>   2.  A means to support very large LSP is needed, including LSP whose
>       total bandwidth exceeds the size of a single component link but
>       whose traffic has no single flow greater the component links.
>
> This might be a lot more clear.
>
>   2.  A means to support very large LSP is needed.  A large LSP may
>       includes LSP whose total bandwidth exceeds the size of a single
>       component link but where the traffic on the LSP contains no
>       single flow greater than the capacity of a component link.
>
> Hopefully that will do it.  If not, I'll try again.

I tried to to use spaces with LookOut, but I think this captures my
comment. This is an example of a requirement that was not in the prior
draft, but is very important. How this relates to flow identification
and distribution may not be fully covered yet.

> > >       In link bundling this is supported by many
> implementations using
> > >       the all ones address component addressing and hash based
> > >       techniques.
> > >
> > >       Note: some implementations impose further
> restrictions regarding
> > >       the distribution of traffic across the set of
> identifiers used
> > >       in flow identification.  Discussion of algorithms and
> > >       limitations of existing implementations is out of
> scope for this
> > >       requirements document.
> >
> > Is the Note necessary?
>

> Strictly no.  In a few places we are acknowledging that while we
> strive to retain compatibility with existing widely deployed equipment

> we are not exactly duplicating that behaviour.
>
> Maybe the prior statement should be added up front and notes like this

> removed.
>
> I had already added:
>
>       b.  Protocol extensions must retain compatibility with widely
>           implemented and widely deployed protocols and practices to
>           the greatest extent possible.
>
> If there are no objections, I would like to add the following:
>
>       c.  Widely implemented and widely deployed protocols and
>           practices should be accomodated with no loss of the prior
>           functionality to the greatest extent possible.

Such as those that Ning mentioned in the meeting: a wide use of LDP for
L3VPNs and simultaneous use of LDP and RSVP-TE on a composite link.

>       d.  While compatibility with prior deployed protocols and
>           practices with little or no loss of prior functionality is a
>           goal, exactly duplicating the prior behaviour is not a goal.
>
> This could allow eliminating a number of the notes.

Editorially, stating these up front is better for me.

> > >   The remaining requirements are not met by existing link
> bundling.
> > >
> > >   3.  In some more than one set of metrics is needed to
> accommodate a
> > >       mix of capacity with different characteristics,
> particularly a
> > >       bundle where a subset of component links have shorter delay.
> >
> > These characteristics need to be aritculated, and before they are
> > mentioned (not only in item 4, but also before item 3 where they are

> > first mentioned. Something like the following could be added to the
> > definition (possibly mentioned as extensions to 4201)
> >
> > The component links in a composite link may have different
> > characteristics, including at least: capacity, current latency,
> > indication of whether latency can change, and possibly others.
>

> What I wrote is not quite a complete sentence:
>
>   3.  In some cases more than one set of metrics is needed to
>       accommodate a mix of capacity with different characteristics,
>       particularly a bundle where a subset of component links have
>       shorter delay.
>
> Capacity is aleady covered in the reservable bandwidth and LSP
> bandwidth and so the tuple for a group of components would contain
> these plus the delay parameters.
>
> I did mention that I didn't want to put stddev, norms, percentiles.
> If we go for more that a single delay value, maybe a range would be
> considered, but the number that matters is the high end of the range
> which would be a single value again.
>
> Latency for preferred services is not likely to change substantially
> unless protection is in use.  It does seem to be overkill to put in
> the probability that the protect path will be used in the future.

In terms of a solution, as mentioned in the meeting, one color bit could
be used to indicate this. Protection changing latency is a major network
operator problem to be solved, and is missing from this requirements
list. It was the first one that I described in the meeting. Does anyone
in the wg believe that this not a problem to be solved?

Do
> we need protect delay and working path MTBF and MTTR in addition to
> working path delay?  I do think that would be overkill.

The proposed text is so vague and unclear. The wording also seems to
imply a solution. We need better wording for this. Do others in the wg
have a problem with adding the text that I proposed?

> > >   4.  A mechansism is needed to signal an LSP such that a
> component
> > >       link with specific characteristics are chosen, if a
> preference
> > >       exists.  For example, the shortest delay may be required for
> > >       some LSP, but not required for others.
> >
> > Examples are network operator stories that are told. :) I think the
> > wording of this example has a particular form of solution
> in mind, and
> > what we need to identify is the underlying requirement.
> Possibly that is
> > a better organization for the document than only an ordering of
> > requirements that build on each other, as you clarified.

As I thought about this more, having requirements that build on each
other also potentailly has a solution orientation as well. Based upon
your prior response, that is how you stated that you thought about it,
but thinking about things in terms of problem solving can be different.
As mentioned above, I think the wg document should strive to include
both of these perspectives.

> Can you please indicate what type solution this statement precludes?

I stated a network operator use case in the first thread. In your second
version you appeared to declare any protocol extensions out of scope in
item 10 (see specific comments there). I'll write this up from the point
of view of a problem to be solved.

> As far as I can tell this is as general a requirement as we can make
> it.
>
> If it bothers you (and Tony) I can change this to:
>
>   4.  A mechansism is needed to signal an LSP such that a component
>       link with specific characteristics is chosen or optionally a
>       specific component link is chosen, if a such preference exists.
>       For example, the shortest delay may be required for some LSP,
>       but not required for others.
>
> The added phrase is "or optionally a specific component link is
> chosen".  There is a little wording clean up (awkward grammar).

No, doesn't help. I'll write up the use cases and send out. In terms of
a potential solution, advertising the latency as is being discussed
seems to be an approach that would solve problems better than what is
stated in 4.

> > >   5.  LSP signaling is needed to indicate a preference
> for placement
> > >       on a single component link and to specifically
> forbid spreading
> > >       that LSP over multiple component links based on flow
> > >       identification beyond the outermost label entry.
> > >
> > > [CV] Awaiting concensus.  What I had in mind was two choices,
> > > outer only or all.  Do others think we need to specify looking
> > > some fixed depth into the stack for the hash for a given LSP?  If
> > > so we need to discuss possible forwarding speed consequences (hash

> > > and lookup can't be done in parallel with hash disposed of if not
> > > needed).
> >
> > It seems to me that knowing the potential depth pf
> MPLS/packet header
> > inspection would need to be known to the sender in some
> circumstances to
> > meeting this requirement.
>

> If useing using a control plane where the ingress is doing the
> signaling, the ingress needs to indicate if the LSP can be split up.

I agree, suggest adding this sentence to the requirements.

> Moving this (item #5) to just before the current #8a and then shifting

> the item numbering would improve clarity.
>

> > >   6.  A means to support non-disruptive reallocation of
> an existing
> > >       LSP to another component link is needed.
> >
> > In the storytelling section, I recommend that we describe
> that the LSP
> > is actually being moved, which could cause reordering or increased
> > jitter (which does cause disruption). That is WHY the
> change frequency
> > of item 8 is specified. Non-disruptive will not always be
> possible, I
> > recall in the meeting the term "minimally disruptive" being
> used, which
> > I believe is a more accurate description of the goal.
>

> That wording about being minimally disruptive but not totally
> non-disruptive could go right here.

Yes, would be good to summarize the wg discussion in this area, could
cause reordering or clumping. In the prior draft, the section on change
frequency control was added based upon inputs from Stewart Bryant and
Yakov Stein. They should be retained in acknowledgements.

>   6.  A means to support minimally-disruptive reallocation of an
>       existing LSP to another component link is needed.  Some
>       disruption due to reordering ^or clumping^ is unavoidable.

^Proposed wording change^ Just to be clear, we could put details from
the Email thread in an Appendix. This is an old issue,alternatively we
may be able to find a reference and cite that.

>       Control is needed of the frequency of change and/or the
>       conditions under which change is permitted.  These parameters
>       are considered to be included in the advertised link
>       characteristics and the LSP desired characteristics described in
>       the TE-LSDB and LSP requirement that follow.
>

> > >   7.  A means to populate the TE-LSDB with information
> regarding which
> > >       links (per end) can support distribution of large LSP across
> > >       multiple component links based on the component
> flows and the
> > >       characteristics of this capability.  Key
> characteristics are:
> > >
> > >   a.  The largest single flow that can be supported.  This may
> > >       or may not be related to the size of component links.
> >
> > It seems this is also related to whether the LSP can have
> the behavior
> > described in item 2.
>

> Yes it could be.  But other implementations are not precluded.
>

> > >   b.  Characteristics of the flow identification method.  [These
> > >       can be enumberated in this document or a later document. ]
> > >
> > >   c.  Characteristics of the flow adjustment method.  [These
> > >             can be enumberated in this document or a
> later document. ]
> >
> > "flow adjustment" should be added to the definition
> section, so that the
> > document is clear on use of this term.
>

> Good catch.  Rewording would avoid adding a term.
>
>       c.  Characteristics of the method of assignment of flows to
>             component links.  [These can be enumberated in this
>             document or a later document. ]
>
> If there are no strong objections I'm going to drop the "These can be
> enumberated" notes.  That would be too close to implementation.
>

> > >   8.  Some means is needed to specify desired
> characteristics of flow
> > >       distribution for an LSP, regardless of whether the
> LSP is set up
> > >       using RSVP-TE, LDP, or management plane.

Behaviour
> for IP must
> > >       be configured using the management plane.

Not sure what this means. Is management plane in scope? Or just data and
control plane?

These
> characteristics
> > >       include:
> > >
> > > [CV] Reworded above paragraph to indicate that LDP and static LSP
> > > and IP are not omitted from this definition.  Note that LDP can
> > > give guidance but does not support TE so it can't be rejected and
> > > go elsewhere if the guidance can't be followed.
> > >
> > >   a.  The largest flow expected.
> > >
> > >         b.  Characteristics of load adjustment.  For example, a
> > >             maximum change frequency might be specified.
> [These can
> > >             be enumberated in this document or a later document. ]
> >
> > Is "load adjustment" something different from "flow adjustment"
>

> Not really.  Just sloppy wording on my part.  Again I need to reword.
>
>         b.  The desired characteristics of the method of assignment of
>             flows to component links.  For example, a maximum change
>             frequency might be specified.  These desired
>             characteristics must match characteristics offerred by the
>             CL as advertise in the TE-LSDB (if a control plane is
>             used).  [These can be enumberated in this document or a
>             later document. ]
>
> Again.  I'd like to drop the "These can be enumberated" note.

Fine with me. Could add this thought to notes at beginning of document.

I think there needs to be a set of requirements related to "signaling."
See above comment, depending upon the characteristics specified it this
list may be incomplete.

> > >   9.  In some cases it may be useful to measure link parameters
> > >       and reflect these in metrics.  Link delay is an example.
> >
> > I believe this is stronger than the optional "may." A protocol
> > (extension or new) is definitely needed to report latency
> from a lower
> > (server) layer up to a higher (client) layer network. An ordering of

> > importance needs to be in the document
>

> Simple enough to change the emphaisis.
>
>   9.  In some cases it is necessary to measure link parameters
>       and reflect these in metrics.  Link delay is an example.
>
> I removed "it may be useful" and replaced with "it is necessary".

I plan to expand on this in the problem statement text.

> > >  10.  Some uses require an ability to bound the sum of
> delay metrics
> > >       along a path while otherwise taking the shorted
> path related to
> > >       another metric.  Algorithms for accomplishing this
> are applied
> > >       at an ingress, PCE, or in the management system and
> are out of
> > >       scope.
> > >
> > > [CV] Limited scope above.
> >
> > OK, you are proposing another scope change. As I commented
> before, this
> > is an important network operator problem. The form of routing and/or

> > signaling extensions used to meet other requirements may be
> able to be
> > used to (help) meet this objective. I believe that
> declaring it out of
> > scope is premature.
>

> The requirement is that some method be supported on some given
> equipement.  The algorithm that is used by the ingress or PCE or
> management system is not an interoperability issue and therefore is
> not a matter that need to be or should be standardized.  This is what
> we alway call an opportunity for innovations.

OK, specific solutions should not be mentioned, but this should be done
consistently (e.g., remove the use of bundling in some of the
requirements.) In general, negative requirements are not all that
useful, and this could be added to the general statements. The
information that may be needed by one or more such algorithms to perform
this function is in scope, and if not already present in existing
protocols then these need/should be standardized. We need to have this
wg discussion, like we are doing with parameter summarization.

> > >  11.  Impact of load balancing on OAM and mitigation techniques
> > >       applicable to OAM must be documented.
> > >
> > >  12.  Load balancing techniques must not oscillate.
> > >
> > > [CV] Added above two based on Dave's comments.
> > >
> > > [CV] Took suggestion to move use scenarios to framework.
>

> As mentioned above, we are moving the use cases aka scenarios aka
> service provider problems aka story telling back to this point unless
> there are objections to putting it here.

I think the flow is better if it comes firts, but let me draft some text
and we can better see how the pieces fit together.