Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-03

Subject: Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-03
From: mike shand
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:00:38 +0000
John G. Scudder wrote:
Folks,

This is to begin working group last call for draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-03, " Framework for Loop-free Convergence". Please send comments by December 12, 2008.
Thanks,

--John

John,

I have received some comments regarding draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk

1. The draft gives the impression that a fast reroute protection solution only makes sense if a micro-loop avoidance technique is also deployed. There are cases, for example in highly meshed networks, where the incidence of micro-loops is very low, or even non-existent. The draft should make it clear that in those cases IPFRR can be deployed without a micro-loop avoidance technique.
2. The draft does not list improvements to the speed of conventional
re-convergence as a valuable micro-loop mitigation technique. By
reducing the duration of micro-loops it reduces their impact. It should
be added to the list of mitigation techniques.
3. The draft does not mention that using a full mesh MPLS FRR is another
method of avoiding microloops.

These all look like reasonable improvements to the document. We'll generate some suitable text and produced a revised version.
   Mike