RE: Agenda topics for IETF-72

Subject: RE: Agenda topics for IETF-72
From: "Yousuf, Mohammad A"
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:50:52 +0100

From: [email protected] on behalf of PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri
Sent: Wed 11/06/2008 22:58
To: Yousuf, Mohammad A; John G. Scudder; ZININ Alex; [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]

Hi Dimitri,

Thanks for checking it out.

 >hi

 >i would like to understand the following point:

 >"This draft uses MAC Address Translation (MAT) to provide VLAN
 >functionality natively to BB (Backbone Bridging). Pair wise shortest
 >paths are calculated for each of the unique C-MACs (one per Chrysolite
 >switch)."

Each of the 'virtual circuits' / Customer endpoints/ N-MACS are created as a sort of 'sub' MAC address of the WAN switch. This allows the cloud to just ignore the details when routing, and gives easy pairwise SPF paths.

We will probably avoid developing the UNI as well. It isnt really necessary. see example type config below. If the customer cant do this then the switch can just MAT the packets, *with the customer restricted to a single circuit.

int E0.1 <A sub interfce for each 'circuit'

Source MAC-ADDRESS <customer end point ""N-MAC"" placed here>

Dest MAC-ADDRESS <customer end point ""N-MAC"" placed here>

 >[...] "Ospf-lite [LITE] will be used as the link state routing protocol
 >to calculate the pair-wise shortest paths."

 >-> is RTGWG also dealing with non-network layer routing aspects (even if
 >link state can be obviously applied at other layers, SPB currently
 >developed at IEEE being a good example) ?

 >btw, is OSPF-LITE going to be re-discussed and re-visited per feedback
 >provided in VC/IETF 70, as i don't see any updated referenced in this
 >doc.

 >thanks,
 >-d.

This is similar to the issues you faced in the PWE3 mapping I Guess.

We appreciate your Q's / comments / time spent checking it out.

Regards,

Mohammad, MT