Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-07.txt

Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-07.txt
From: Pekka Savola
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:22:57 +0200 EET
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, [email protected] wrote:
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of
the IETF.

        Title           : The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM)
        Author(s)       : V. Gill, et al.
        Filename        : draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-07.txt
        Pages           : 14
        Date            : 2006-11-26

The use of a packet's Time to Live (TTL) (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6)
  to verify whether the packet originated within the same link has been
  used in many recent protocols.  This document generalizes this
  technique.  This document obsoletes RFC 3682.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-07.txt
Changes between -06 and -07:

   o  Be more reserved about multi-hop security properties in section
      'Multi-Hop Protocol Sessions'.

   o  Clarify IP-in-IP tunnel decapsulation/forwarding as decrementing
      TTL.

   o  Add text on related messages backwards compatibility.

   o  Editorial updates.

Comments welcome. In particular about new backwards compat text in section 6.1 Note however that Section 5 (Security Considerations) has been significantly reworked already, so if you have comments on that, please hold off.
I'll post a new I-D in a week or two, but if you want to comment right
away, please send them to so that they can be incorporated.