Re: Comments on draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-05.txt: Fragments

Subject: Re: Comments on draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-05.txt: Fragments
From: Alia Atlas
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:57:09 -0700
On 7/12/05, Alex Zinin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not for all, but for all Unknown, and yes, my original comments did say
> that for Unknown too.

Given that implementing GTSM for a particular protocol is to try and
protect it against such DOS attacks, letting the fragments have to
compete for resources with Unknown seems to make this much less useful
- as far as the multi-hop case goes.

Are there protocols where it is the case that both fragments are
commonly seen and the multi-hop case is necessary?

> >> Alternately, if one were only doing single-hop GTSM, then trusting
> >> fragments with a TTL of 255 wouldn't be a concern.
>
> Right. It's straight-forward with single-hop. With multi-hop, we should be
> able to tell Unknowns from Dangerous.

Since it is straight-forward with single-hop, why don't we call this
out in the draft as a special case where fragments with TTL=255 are
trusted?  At least that makes the single-hop case more useful.

Alia