Re: 6LSA IETF Drafts

Subject: Re: 6LSA IETF Drafts
From: Brian E Carpenter
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:31:38 +0200

There is one important difference, which is that the M in MPLS
stands for multiprotocol. A label switched architecture for
one particular network layer protocol is not the same as
a multiprotocol architecture.

Adrian Farrel wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Please ensure that any BOF you hold does not conflict with either the MPLS
or CCAMP working group meetins. I predict that many people will wish to
attend all three meetings.

After a preliminary reading of draft-chakravorty-6lsa-01.txt it seems to
me that what you are suggesting has massive overlap with MPLS and GMPLS.
That you are proposing a form of layer 3 switching which is not part of
MPLS or GMPLS (but which has been suggested at several previous IETF
meetings) is a fairly minor fact since the data plane operation of
swapping and switching is unchanged. That is, you are proposing a new form
of labeling.

The bigger difference comes in how the labels are distributed, and in this
context, one might ask what is wrong with existing label distribution

But clearly I need to read in more detail.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bound, Jim" <[email protected]>