Re: Updated: draft-zinin-microloop-analysis-01.txt

Subject: Re: Updated: draft-zinin-microloop-analysis-01.txt
From: Alia Atlas
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:14:37 -0400
At 05:38 PM 6/3/2005, Alex Zinin wrote:
Alia,

>> >     For situation 2 (an A/B or an A/C combination), the implementation:
>>
>> > 1) SHALL update the route with the new next-hops that satisfy the
>> >            safety condition without an additional delay
>>
>> >       2)   SHALL add the remaining new next-hops after DELAY_TYPEB.

>>I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

> Safe but not new primary neighbors (type B) could be used during the
> transition period.

That's what the text says, right?
Well, it's a bit unclear. It says "with the new next-hops", so that
implies, to me at least, that those are safe new primary next-hops.
Also, the fact that in step 2 the remaining new next-hops are added and the
type B next-hops aren't removed indicates that the type B next-hops aren't
used.
> This is expressing a policy that they will not be; it
> would be safe to use them.

Sorry, still not clear enough to me--are you guys suggesting the text is
changed, if so how?
Do you want the policy of using type B or not? If not using them, then the
text is ok - but needs a clarifying statement that this means that the type
B next-hops are not used due to policy.

>>Alia, Stewart, I don't think the text disallows future repair techniques,
>>but let me know, guys, how you think the text could be improved.

> How about just changing where you have "procedures describes in this
> document ...."  to "a controlled convergence mechanism such as that
> described in the procedures in this document"?

OK, I see what you mean. How about this?

     If a router implementing this specification also implements [IPFRR]
     and performs a local failure repair, the following considerations
     apply.
Sounds good to me.

Alia