Re: the shen-mpls-nnhop Was:(Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-no

Subject: Re: the shen-mpls-nnhop Was:Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-notvia-addresses-00.txt
From: Loa Andersson
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:07:53 +0200
Maiming and Stewart,

you wrote - and I guess this is valid:

Naiming Shen wrote:

I think the needs start emerging, any important services
riding on top of IP/MPLS transport infrastructure needs
fast convergence services. It's not reasonable to assume
only RSVP-TE LSPs need fast reroute, and other
network transport does not. This nnhop-ldp draft is to
facilitate the LDP based MPLS network for FRR with
node protection. I have been talking to some providers
in the past year, there are certainly interests in
this service.

Stewart Bryant wrote:
> I think the interest that we are seeing in IPFRR for LDP
> networks demonstrates the usefulness of this work. Sure
> RSVP-TE FRR exists, but some customers have expressed
> an interest in a solution that does not use RSVP.

However the MPLS working group need to take a decision if,
when and how this functionality should be developed.

The way of doing this would be

- write down the requirements
- send them to the mpls wg
- we go through the moces to establish the mpls wg consensus

- I don't think FRR for LDP based MPLS enabled IP networks
  should not go into the rtgwg, the charter of the rtgwg seems
  to say the rtgwg takes of everything that does not fit into
  other routing are working groups (Alex and Bill comments on this?)

- my take is that for this purpose you could either document
  the requirements in a separate document or put them into one
  the existing documents. I've no preferences, but this should
  be rather short.

- my preference would be to speed this up so we could have
  a decision going into the Paris meeting.

Also I think it will be right to take this discussion to the
mpls wg list. I will write a mail to mpls list to that effect.

Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email protected]
                                           [email protected]

Rtgwg mailing list