Re: the shen-mpls-nnhop Was:(Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-no

Subject: Re: the shen-mpls-nnhop Was:Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-notvia-addresses-00.txt
From: Alex Zinin
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:18:31 -0700
Hi, folks-

 I have no idea why, but we seem to get back to the topic of RTGWG scope
 with the periodicity of almost exactly once a year :)

 As explained in May, 2004 (see [1]), RTGWG works on the IP-only scenario
 with a note that if we produce something that also works for MPLS/LDP we
 will only be happier.

 Anything that targets MPLS networks specifically, let alone requires
 modifications of MPLS protocols, has to go to the MPLS WG. It is then the
 job of the MPLS WG chairs to assess whether there's sufficient support
 behind that piece of work, whether requirements are needed, etc.

 Alia mentioned that we should have the documents reviewed in OSPF, IS-IS,
 and MPLS WGs. That's the plan. Once we have the Basic FRR docs in a decent
 shape, we'll take them there for review.

 In the event that in future we (the community) see that a mechanism
 produced within RTGWG can be somehow improved with a few extensions to
 MPLS protocols, and it turns out that RTGWG is a better place to do that,
 the RTGWG would ask the MPLS WG to work on the extensions, possibly
 suggesting what they could look like, and definitely pointing to a
 document that describes how they would be used.

 With regards to draft-shen-nhop-fastreroute and
draft-shen-mpls-ldp-nnhop-label:

   I am not aware of any requirements on the RTGWG side at this point for
   the mechanisms in draft-shen-mpls-ldp-nnhop.

   From what I remember, draft-shen-nhop-fastreroute described a mechanism
   targeted for LDP MPLS networks, and hence MPLS would be the place to
   discuss it, which I think is what happened. Iff the MPLS WG was really
   excited about it and asked RTGWG to look at it with the IP-FRR glasses
   on, I'm sure folks here would be happy to do that.

 Hope this helps.

--
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin