Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-atlas-ip-local-protect-uturn-01.txt

Subject: Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-atlas-ip-local-protect-uturn-01.txt
From: Christoph Reichert
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:54:51 +0200

I just recently started lurking on this list.

Sorry for referring just to a paper, but you might be interested in:

C. Reichert, T. Magedanz, "Topologies for Resilient IP Networks", Sept., 2004

It's mainly pure graph theory, but we describe topologies in
which every link and node can be protected by what we called "O2
routing" (out-degree 2), which is basically the same as IPFRR. Our
conclusion is that this approach restricts topology design, but this
restrictions do not hurt very much. The required density is modest,
I would say.

However, depending on the algorithm used, 100% coverage depends not
only on the topology, but also on the link weights. We developed
several algorithm, and from this experience, I am quite sure that
the loop-free approach requires a special metric to achieve 100%

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:19:48PM +0200, Thomas Eriksson wrote:
> Alia, we have talked briefly at the IETF a couple of times. I am interested
> in the IP fast reroute concept and hope that we can use it in our network
> some time in the future. I have a concern however. It is regarding the
> complexity of designing and keeping the topology so that uturn or even
> better, loop-free approach gives 100% coverage. Is my feeling correct that
> you need to keep a  very dense topology to reach the 100% goal?
> Thomas

Dipl.-Inform. Christoph Reichert
Fraunhofer FOKUS             email:  [email protected]
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31    tel:    ++49-30-3463-7171
D-10589 Berlin
CoNEXT 2005 (Toulouse, France) in coopeartion with ACM Sigcomm.
Submit your manuscript until May 1st!
www.co-next.net <http://www.co-next.net/>

Rtgwg mailing list