redhat-list@redhat.com

Delete Files based on Date

Subject: Delete Files based on Date
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:30:23 -0600
I'm somewhat hampered by my OpenVMS experience with this problem.  I need a
script that will remove all but the latest five files in a folder.  There is
only one file per day and I want to keep five days worth.  OpenVMS had a
nice little flag on the dir command (/before=today-5) that I often used for
this kind of thing.  I'm just not finding anything similar in Linux. I've
found how to sort files based on modified date (ls -ltr), but how can I use
that to remove the older files?

I didn't see anything useful in the rm man page.

Kelley Coleman
Database Administrator
VA Health Administration Center
Denver, Colorado