rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org

[rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running

Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running
From: Helge Milde
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:19:03 +0100
Hi!

I'm trying to restore a backup that has already been written while an rdiff-backup session is running, and this fails:

machine:/home/user# rdiff-backup -r 1D /some/rdiff-backup/repo/foo .

Fatal Error: It appears that a previous rdiff-backup session with process
id 353 is still running.  If two different rdiff-backup processes write
the same repository simultaneously, data corruption will probably
result.  To proceed with regress anyway, rerun rdiff-backup with the
--force option.

If I add '--force', it tells me that the previous backup has failed (which is wrong)

Is this intended behavior, or am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't it be possible to do a read operation on the repository without affecting the process that's currently making a new increment? If it is intended, are there any workarounds for this? We need to be able to restore a backup within minutes, and a backup process can last for 6+ hours (and we do them twice a day).

--
Helge Milde, 69701808 / 41747242
www.monsternett.no