rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org

Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup 1.1.16 crash

Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup 1.1.16 crash
From: Andrew Ferguson
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:54:51 -0400

On Jul 18, 2008, at 2:36 AM, Craig Findlay wrote:

Hi all,

I know 1.1.17 has been released, however a colleague and I have been chasing a crash in 1.1.16 that appears to be due to filenames that contain unicode type characters.

A typical filename that causes this is:

'/Volumes/LACIE/b/Project/2005/2005389AL/Docs Out/Da003 2005389 facade glazing apartments - BLL proposed opt\x85.pdf'
The \x85 appears to be the problem. We have a PDF generator that seems to like putting these types of characters in the names of the files it generates.

Good news Craig!

When I originally saw your bug report, I thought it would not be possible to fix this problem until Python 3 comes out this fall. However, due to some very recent, other work to get rdiff-backup working natively on Windows, the fix for your bug became trivial. I tested the fix using a file with the \x85 character (ellipses on Mac OS X).

Rdiff-backup can now support Unicode filenames, at least for basic back-up and restore. I have not heavily tested extended attributes, ACLs, etc. Also, I have also only tested this on the Mac OS X HFS+ filesystem.

The bug fix is in CVS. If you wish to test it, simply download the new rpath.py file from CVS:

and replace the one in your rdiff-backup installation: /sw/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py

Let me know if you have any more problems,
Andrew