quanta@mail.kde.org

Re: [Quanta] Some (more) general comments

Subject: Re: [Quanta] Some (more) general comments
From: Benjamin Rossen
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:52:33 +0100
Eric and others,

I have been making good use of the KFileReplace over the last 24 hours, and
would like to make the following suggestions:

KFileReplace is not really well integrated with Quanta+.
   (1) It makes a different backup file (*old instead of *~). My directories
get filled up with backups, which I don' t like.
   (2) It does not act on the open files directly, so that either one must
close all files before running the plug in, or go through a tiresome compare
and replace prceedure.
   (3) It is more powerful than needed in that it is not restricted to the
project at hand. This may seem to be an advantage, but might not be. For
example, I accedently set it off with / directory, and lost a few hours
repairing files in other directories which were inadvertently changed.

Actaully, KFileReplace doesn't do anything I could not achieve with bash
commands. It seems to me that the point of putting any given fuctionality
into a GUI Application is to make it an integrated element of the Application
- not merely a front end to shell scripts. Well, perhaps not all the time,
but wouldn' t it be much better as a dedicated Quanta+ utility? My suggestion
is that a more integrated find and replace be developed for Quanta+

Also, I find that the Project Files Functionality does not seem to work
correctly when I try to use it to open all files in a given project...
perhaps I am doing something wrong, but all I can do is open the project XML
file from within Quanta+. It seems buggy... because it once opened all the
project files as indended. I may have done something different when it
worked, but I have not been able to find out what. I think some more work on
this may be needed.

My wish list includes improved Project management, and a function in the
Project File Environment where I can define subsets of project files for
different actions; Open subset Sales or open subset Members (names I may have
given to files belonging to a subgroup on a web site, for example). The
definition of subsets should also make it possible to restrict a Find and
Replace to a selected subset.

I don't think it is very useful to make comparisons with NoteTab Pro (or
Dreamweaver, which I have never used - I don't like WYSIWYG editors and never
use them). These suggestions should be seen as ideas that might help make
Quanta+ even better than any other, irrespective of what they may or may not
do. Therefore, it is irrelevant what NoteTab Pro can do even though it was my
old farourite for many years. I have made the (at times difficult) transition
to Linux and plan to become one of your faithful users from now on.

Benjamin  Rossen