qtopia-interest@trolltech.com

Re: Qtopia, Qtopia

Subject: Re: Qtopia, Qtopia
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:45:58 +0100
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 08:56:31PM -0400, Jason T. Slack wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am compiling Qtopia as I write this e-mail.
>
> I would like to try running some of the sample applications using the
> QVFb.
>
> There are notes that doing this can corrupt the X11 display. So how
> does one run these applications without corrupting the X11 display?
>
> Can anyone give me an example of how to do this?

 go investigate the openembedded.org web site.

 you will find that there are somewhere around fifty supported devices,
 with several thousand packages and libraries as part of the development
 environment, with compiler and package options ALREADY DONE for you.

 it will be a trivial task to compile up an entire distribution for
 device.

 if you want an example, go get a linksys wrt54g, or look up one of its
 clones (e.g. a netgear one), or get yourself an HP/Compaq IPAQ, or get
 yourself an XDA II, IIs, or Executive smartphone, and follow the build
 instructions which you should be able to locate fairly easily with
 google (come back to me if you can't).

 you are genuinely wasting your time by not hooking in to the knowledge
 base that has already been accumulated by the teams yes teams of people
 who have been working with openembedded.org.

 it is a _dedicated_ distribution specifically _dedicated_ to
 cross-compiling distributions for embedded devices.

 if trolltech aren't already using bitbake and openembedded.org
 to produce distributions, then they are quite, quite mad.

 l.