qt-interest@trolltech.com

[Qt-interest] Qt/X11 Text Handling on MacOSX faster than Qt/Mac

Subject: [Qt-interest] Qt/X11 Text Handling on MacOSX faster than Qt/Mac
From: Josh
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:57:26 -0700 PDT
So...

I spent the day fiddling with OSX and was able to get Qt/X11 to run using Fink.
Running my program under Qt/X11 on OSX was probably about 5 times faster than
under Qt/Mac (maybe more, I didn't run official speed tests yet, but it wasn't
even close). As I said, my program is all about text layout/rendering. I'm
pretty sure that this is almost completely due to Harfbuzz being faster than
Core Text, but there could be other factors.

So I'd love someone who is more experienced than I to chime in about the
possibility of getting Harfbuzz to run on Qt/Mac. It seems like if my program
is any sort of indicator, this would be very nice to have as a configure switch
for people who want to get a lot more speed out of the Mac text handling.

Any Trolls to chime in? Is this doable?

Thanks!

Josh