qt-interest@trolltech.com

Re: [Qt-interest] Licensing

Subject: Re: [Qt-interest] Licensing
From: Kustaa Nyholm
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:22:18 +0300
>> Patents are a much bigger IP threat, but as long as you are
>> small no one is going to put in the $100k/month to sue you when
>> you have no money.
>
> Who claims this is about money?
>
> It is for sure a way to get rid of competitors.

I'm not sure if I got your question correctly but my point
was that effectively suing some will cost money in the
order of $100k/ month even before you get to the court.

For both parties.

So even if A is infringing B's patent, B will think
carefully weather they want to put in that money if
there is no chance of recovering that money from A,
especially if A is small company with little assets.

More, in the case of software patents these are
most often easily circumvented so A would be likely
to just change their product, so B's remedy would
be, far from putting A out of business,
compensation for alleged damages and/or licensing
payment in the order of some percent of the product
price, all this if the court grants it if B wins.

As no-one can count on the outcome of a litigation,
especially of a patent case these are mostly
solved out of court.

So I don't think large companies are likely to
sue small companies over software patents.

br Kusti