qt-interest@trolltech.com

Re: [Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?

Subject: Re: [Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?
From: Gordon Schumacher
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:43:57 -0600
On 4/5/2010 3:19 PM, "Richard S. Wright Jr."
<rwright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I could hack it in a week, Nokia could do it quickly, and more cleanly if
> they WANTED to. End of story. Shut the #$%! up about "how hard" it would be
> to move Qt to the iPhone.

On one hand, I'll vouch for this - it took me less than two weeks to
have a statically-built QtCore and QtXml running under DJGPP (GCC for
DOS) a few years back; I think I may have even gotten QtNetwork to go as
well.  (It did at least compile.)
On the other hand, that was a "free and open" platform, not something
controlled by the Fist of Jobs or whatever.
On the gripping hand... none of these things are why it might be "hard".

If it's an unofficial community-driven port, fine, okay, no problem.  If
it's blessed by Nokia as an Officially Supported Platform(tm), then it
would need to be treated as a first-class citizen... which means people
to write, test, and *support* the code (consider the vagaries that are
already in there just to make the eighteen different freakin' versions
of Windows all go!)  There would unquestionably be speed-bumps; I would
[WA]guess that it ultimately would be a task of a comparable size to the
Symbian port.  The iHardware may be closer to OSX etc. than Symbian was
to... well, anything else - but on the other hand, Nokia controlled
Symbian, and it would appear that Apple believes they have a vested
interest in this *not* happening.  (I can't for the life of me
understand why, though.)