qt-interest@trolltech.com

Re: [Qt-interest] Qt vs Adobe Flash etc

Subject: Re: [Qt-interest] Qt vs Adobe Flash etc
From: Andrei Sebastian Cimpean
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:04:23 +0300
On Sunday 11 October 2009 06:28:57 pm Andreas Unger wrote:
> I'd like to know what advantages Qt has over Adobe Flash in a UI
> implementation on an embedded platform e.g a photo album application.
>
> The advantage of Flash is that there is a consistent runtime for it across
> platforms and on the web, but I'd appreciate it if someone could
> let me know what gives Qt an edge of Adobe Flash e.g in terms of ease of
> implementation, libraries, performance etc
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

Hello Andreas. I always found it hard to compare flash with any established
programming language. I worked with as 3 quite a while and although i found it
easy and pretty powerful, i also found that it is a very limiting environment.
The biggest problems with flash, i think are the very bad garbage collector,
very high price to develop using it and some speed and stability issues. Maybe
in 90% of the cases, flash performs well, but if you load content dynamically
you have to be prepared to to some code   and force the garbage
collector to function by supplying bad code in it's own function. Flash has a
big advantage over any development environment because it's powerful
implementation of design. The only problem is that if you start using a lot
this features, the size of the program starts to get bigger.
I stopped developing in flash a few months ago. I think i made the right
choice, but in the end, i think that you should develop in the environment you
like best. Flash has it's own strengths  and i suspect it will keep growing in
importance in the future.
Hope this proves helpful for you.