qt-interest@trolltech.com

Re: [Qt-interest] QFileIconProvider "leaks" DLL's (qgifd4.dll, qicod4.dl

Subject: Re: [Qt-interest] QFileIconProvider "leaks" DLL's qgifd4.dll, qicod4.dll, QtSvgd4.dll, etc.
From: Thiago Macieira
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:04:48 +0200
Em Quarta-feira 19 Agosto 2009, às 15:14:54, Niels Dekker - no return address
escreveu:
> Basically it's a matter of good programming style. We just don't want to
> leak resources from the user. QFileIconProvider breaks a fundamental C++
> idiom: RAII
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Acquisition_Is_Initialization
> Moreover, it doesn't even offer a way to manually free those resources.

The problem, like I explained before, is that those are plugins and they are
loaded to complement Qt functionality. Loading plugins is expensive, so they
are kept loaded forever. Qt image plugins aren't expected to change, so we
never unload them either.

They are only unloaded at the end of the application only.

--
Thiago Macieira - thiago.macieira (AT) nokia.com
     Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009