qt-interest@trolltech.com

Re: How to minimize the compiling time without care of speed or size o

Subject: Re: How to minimize the compiling time without care of speed or size of the exe?
From: Martin Irman
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:52:44 -0400
Lingfa Yang wrote:
Hi,

I work on Qt in vs2003. I notice there are many compiler settings making me confused.

Would you like to share your experience on how to save compiling time without care of speed or size of the exe? What is the better settings combination?

I never tried to time how long does a build take with different settings ... bug I can offer a guess:

The Microsoft compiler is fast (with optimization or without), so what I guess matters the most is the size of your object files ... thus, the best thing to do would be to optimize your code for size and make sure you are not generating any debug information.

If it's the linking that takes long ... you could try incremental linking. Incremental linking used to screw up from time to time and then you needed to rebuild your whole project ... but I've last tried this feature long time ago (probably not with vs2003), so may be it's better now.

Anyway, the most important thing is memory. For bigger projects, doubling the memory in your computer can cut the compile (especially link) time by a factor of five.

Also restructuring your project so that less sources need to be recompiled every time you make a change could help.

Martin.