qt-interest@trolltech.com

Re: What is abstract about QAbstractItemModel?

Subject: Re: What is abstract about QAbstractItemModel?
From: Benjamin Meyer
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:13:07 +0100
On Wednesday 29 November 2006 16:55, Martin wrote:
> Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> >> Just to provide a contrast to the other answers to your message so far:
> >> I agree with you in that the Interview framework is very difficult to
> >> understand; in my opinion, too difficult, and I would really appreciate
> >> if Trolltech would fix the lack of comprehensive documentation. I have
> >> implemented a couple of models so far and still am lost when starting
> >> from scratch. However, I like the approach of abstraction that is used.
> >> It just took me awfully long to find this out :)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >
> > Sorry to hear it was so difficult.  Sense 4.0 I have gone through most of
> > the docs improving things that I could.  Imperticular I have added a
> > bunch of see also's to make the api more discoverable.  A big thanks to
> > our doc team which has also been improving itemviews docs.  A nice
> > example is the new beginRemoveRows and beginRemoveColumns docs
> >
> > http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/qabstractitemmodel.html#beginRemoveColumns
> >
> > I have been monitoring this list and when I see the same question asked
> > several times I try to improve the docs so that question is easier to
> > find. For example how to disable a item in the tree widget has been asked
> > by several people so I added a little sentence so a plain text search
> > will point you to setFlags.
> >
> > If you find something specific in the docs that could be be written
> > better or a missing See Also feel free to send me an e-mail and I'll
> > update it.
> >
> > -Benjamin Meyer
>
> My experience comes from pre-4.2, so I learned things the hard(er) way.
> Haven't checked out the Interview docs of the new version (I'm still
> stuck to 4.1.5), but so far every update brought some improvement.
>
> What I would have found helpful is a comprehensive FAQ (as you said,
> there's lots of such questions in the newsgroup). Of course, this is not
> something typically included in a library documentation...

Hmm, not really a FAQ, but a hanfull of general tips I have put together on
KDE's wiki page in my free time here:

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=ItemView+Tips

There is also the Qt Centre's page here:
http://wiki.qtcentre.org/index.php?title=QAbstractItemModel

Both pages are wiki's so you can probably extend them yourself.

> Btw, the biggest trouble I had was with the proxy models, this was
> really painful (and still is sometimes, especially when it comes to
> index mapping).
>
> Best,

With the proxy stuff was it because there wasn't enough docs, examples, or
just bugs in 4.1.x?

-Benjamin Meyer