qt-interest@trolltech.com

Re: error with QString::toStdString()?

Subject: Re: error with QString::toStdString()?
From: Daher
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:48:49 +0200
Pavel Antokolsky aka Zigmar wrote:
On 5/29/06, Daher <dee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I definitely agree. passing "objects" thru dlls without exporting the
object type itself is never a good idea, and of course since you cannot
export the stl objects (because they are not yours) then you should never
pass them across lib boundaries. thats why C is still so damn popular.
I strongly disagree. Indeed, there was a problem with VC6 STL
implementation, which caused to crash when passing non-trivial STL
containter across dlls boundaries. But it was a STL implementation
problem, not some general dlls problem. STLPort worked fine with VC6
compiler, and implementation in VC7.1+ was fixed as well. I did write
a lots of modules myself located in DLLs that were passing complex STL
structures in and out of DLL. I can't image using C interface with POD
structures for complex modules in C++ enviroment.
I wouldn't be very surprised.. STLport is stable for a very long time, its not heavily modified like Microsoft's implementation and what makes things worse is that the latest STL implementation for VC8 has broken our code into pieces and we had to use STLport to get it to work faster than waiting for bug reports at microsoft to be reviewed.

and if you read my message carefully, I said, if you pass an object without offering the type itself isn't a good idea, because otherwise you're gonna ask people not to use STL X and to use STL Y ..

Daher