qt-interest@trolltech.com

RE: Visual Studio (VS) IDE - newbie questions

Subject: RE: Visual Studio (VS) IDE - newbie questions
From: André Pönitz
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:29:28 +0200
Jeff Lacki wrote:
> Ive read a bunch of articles online but I have more
> questions:
>
> 1.  Is MingW what I *need* to use to compile on windows
> or are there other compiler(s) I should/can use?  Suggestions
> welcome.

No, you could also use VC++ that's integreated in the VS IDE
[assuming you have a commercial licence]

> 2.  When I startup VS, which project type do I choose to
> start the project?

Plain Win32 project would do just fine. There is a Qt/VS
integration package that works more or less ok. You do not
need to use that, but then have to add moc steps etc manually
(or by script) to newly added files in the project.

> 3.  How do I handle my companies svn w/the VS IDE?  In other
> words, I have a remotely mounted linux partition on the windows
> box...is it best to just do the svn commands on the linux box
> for checking in and out and link my project to the linux partition
> OR is there a better/easier way to use svn with the IDE?

There is 'AnkhSVN' which tightly integrates with VS and is
cute for smallish projects [but does not scale up very well].
Svn commandline is usable from cmd.exe or e.g. a cygwin bash.
No need to use an intermediate Linux computer.

Andre'