qemu-devel@nongnu.org

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Boot Failure (CDROM boot failure code : 0004)

Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Boot Failure CDROM boot failure code : 0004
From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:00:03 -0500
Volkan YAZICI wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Laurent Vivier <Laurent.Vivier@xxxxxxxx> writes:
could you burn a CD with your .iso and try to boot a real PC ?

I created the ISO image from the same CD that's inserted into the
/dev/scd0 using below command:

  root:~# dd bs=$[1024 * 32] \
  > if=/dev/scd0 \
  > of=/root/windows-server-2003-standard-x86-64-sp2.iso

Your dd line is very suspect. Why are you using a block size of 32k? The sector size of most CD-ROMs is 2k. I've certainly encountered my fair share of CD-ROMS that were an odd multiple of 2k. dd will silently truncate the ISO if the size is not a multiple of 32k.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

And I'm sure CD is bootable. (Not pirated, original.) OTOH, if we'd
assume the ISO image is corrupted for some unknown reason, why "-cdrom
/dev/scd0" didn't work?

Regards.