qemu-devel@nongnu.org

Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion

Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion
From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:26:51 +0100
Ian Jackson wrote:
> Jamie Lokier writes ("Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion"):
> > It's the Linus Torvalds school of flow control.  If you don't get a
> > reply, try again.
>
> I see.  That seems rather rude to me, so I don't do it.  Am I really
> supposed to keep a list of my outstanding patches and retransmit them
> like some kind of bandwidth-hogging peer-to-peer application ?

Exponential backoff - find the natural pace others can work at.  You
don't have to be a bandwidth hog :-)  But I was joking.  For the Linux
kernel, Linus has said that's what _he_ prefers, back in the days
before Git, but I don't know what's preferred here.

Some patches get a good response quickly, just look at recent threads.

I would guess it depends on which subsystem and whether it's in the
areas of interest of currently active developer-commiters.

> Also - implicit in your comment that it's a form of `flow control' is
> that it's caused by a lack of upstream capacity.  I think that part is
> very true.  We do have a lack of capacity, which can be solved in this
> case by adding one or more people I think.

Perhaps.  It's not necessarily easy to do that well.

-- Jamie