opera.wishlist

labels

Subject: labels
From: "Chrys"
Date: 30 Jan 2006 13:48:24 -0800
Newsgroups: opera.wishlist
Hello all,
    I'm trying out the e-mail client in Opera, and I really like it!  I
got excited when I realized the "labels" feature could theoretically
give me the functionality I love form my gmail account for all of the
e-mail accounts I read in Opera.  Then I realized there is no feature
to add labels, and the excitement died.  Why on Earth is this blatantly
"add new label" menu item not there???
   After some searching, I found this information posted on this group:
Johan H. Borg   May 4 2004, 5:24 am  wrote

On Mon, 03 May 2004 17:13:55 -0400, extrapolator <dioge...@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:

> On Mon, 03 May 2004 22:39:48 +0200, Karaj <szok...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>>> I "assume" that the current implementation uses an eight bit number -
>>> 1 byte - to indicate labels. Presumably that is using one bit for each
>>> label.  There are currently 7 labels defined = one bit for no label
>>> and the seven remaining bits for each of the seven labels.

>> I don't think so... Why do you need one bit for 'no label'? What
>> happens when 'no label' AND any other is set? Another thing: M2 can use
>> only one label for a mail, so it is not needed to have bits for
>> different labels. I think the label is stored on a byte, which can
>> handle 255 different labels, not only 7 (when one mail can have only
>> one label).

>> However, it would be good to be able to define new labels, with
>> different colors, and maybe different icons for them.

> Perhaps an Opera developer could tell us how it is actually done.

Here we go:

The label is stored on disk as a byte, meaning that it's limited to 255

different ones.

If you feel adventurous you can go to the Mail Directory (found in Help
->
About Opera) and edit index.ini while Opera is not running (take a
backup
of index.ini just in case).

Copy the section for the Important label and add it to the bottom of
the
file. [Index XX] should be one higher than the last entry in index.ini,

and the Id of the entry must be one higher than the currently highest

label (in this case 500000007 would be fine).

At the top of the file, add one to the index count:
Index Count=51

[Index 51]
Name=Example
Id=500000007
Parent Id=0
Type=2
Visible=1
Account Id=0
Model Type=0
Model Age=5
Model Flags=93
Sort Type=0
Sort Ascending=1
Selected Message=0
Hide from other=0
Auto filter=0
Expanded=0
Mark Match As Read=0
Inherit Filter=0
Update Frequency=3600
Last Update Time=0
File=C:\Documents and Settings\.....\label_500000007.idx
Search Text=
Search Field=0
Search Current Message=0
Search Start Date=0
Search End Date=0
Search is Regexp=0

Now save the file, start Opera and use your new label (with no image,

sadly).
Johan.
   Now, sadly, this only works partially for me.  If I use this text
and increment the Indext number and the ID number, only the first two
labels I add show up the next time I start Opera.  I am using Opera
8.51 and I noticed that instead of having 51 items, my index only had
29.  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed a little light
on why only 2 additional labels show up.
   This would be THE killer feature in Opera Mail for me.
-Chrys