opera.mail+news

Re: How can I save email to a separate folder?

Subject: Re: How can I save email to a separate folder?
From: Calc-Yolatuh
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:50:12 -0600
Newsgroups: opera.mail+news

Heh, one simple way is just setting the Label field when you first get it, or using the shortcut keys to either permadelete or manually "mark as read" on the first pass. All of the column headers are also sorting options, and you can also view only mail from specific contacts using the 'Contacts' panel. Another person here claimed to be able to create groups of contacts, making it easy to track extended correspondence over time.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:32:20 -0600, TimS <Slydher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:41:39 -0800, Greg Lucas <greg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a way to save e-mails to a separate folder so that I
can clean out my in-box? I really dislike scrolling through a
long list of e-mails to get to the new ones. I have mail I want
to keep, but I don't want to have to wade through it every day.

There are several ways to 'save' messages:

  Show In -> Filter
  Label As -> Label
  Follow/Ignore -> Follow Thread

My personal approach: I tend to keep the Unread view pretty empty, and rarely use the Received view unless I want to see things by time period (e.g. everything from last week). I almost never use 'show in -> filter', but do use filters with rules. I use labels for manually flagging messages, both for things that need action and things I just want to keep handy for a while. This makes more sense to me than a typical inbox which mixes unread stuff with read-but-kept-for-a-while stuff.

On filter rules: I used to create lots of filters, but over the years I've trended towards broader filters. E.g. I want to keep most automated/bulk mail out of my face until I need something, but finding what I need is as easy or easier with one or two filters and 'quick find' than it was with 20 filters for different kinds of bulk mail.

YMMV, of course.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 05:08:37 -0500, TimS <Slydher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Greg, see my reply to John for more info.