opera.mail+news

Re: Deleted message in Opera will be deleted on mail server (pop3)

Subject: Re: Deleted message in Opera will be deleted on mail server pop3
From: Eik
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:54:20 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.mail+news

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:18:33 +0100, <gra-pini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use pop3 account on a pc with "leave message on sever" option enabled, but if I delete some message on opera client (and empty my trash), the message will be deleted also on the server.

From the 9.50 change log:

"When using "Leave messages on server", POP3 messages are permanently removed from the server when the Trash view is emptied (disable by setting "Permanent delete=0" for the relevant account in accounts.ini)"

http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/950/

Where is the option to disable this dangerous "feature" :( of Opera 9.50?

You'll have to manually edit every POP3 account's main INI file while Opera is closed, and remember to edit the files for any future accounts you set up. See the change log infor above for more. Maybe there's room for one more checkbox in the preferences to make this easier in a future release?

I lost many messages for that...

Make sure you export your local copies of these mails if they're important. The export file can be used as a backup, and if it's in Mbox format you should even be able to paste its contents into your mailbox file (if you have that kind of access to the mail server, though most people don't).