opera.mail+news

Re: No warning about unsaved message?

Subject: Re: No warning about unsaved message?
From: "John H Meyers"
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:36:41 -0600
Newsgroups: opera.mail+news
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:40:46 -0600, Rijk wrote:

> There is an automatic save, look in your drafts view.
> But not for every character you type, we might want to do it more often.

This is not a true substitute for not having a warning about
closing without saving, not only because no autosave interval
can guarantee an up to date save, but also because one might
*not* want autosave at all -- who wants mistakes to be auto saved,
for example, particularly if one has just accidentally deleted something
important, say, perhaps without even yet noticing?

That's why I *never* turn on any autosave (if optional),
but make sure that I save each "checkpoint"
which I know to be a *good* point to save,
where I would want to return
if something later goes wrong in my editing,
because the intermediate stages of my making significant changes
are often a complete mess, not the state I'd want to go back to.

M2 is the only editor I can think of which does not warn
about discarding changes -- even Notepad has this feature,
so I wonder what motivated Opera to not have it?

-[ ]-