opera.mail+news

Newsgroup message won't fetch

Subject: Newsgroup message won't fetch
From: "John H Meyers"
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:12:25 -0600
Newsgroups: opera.mail+news
There's a message in one of my newsgroups whose content
simply refuses to be fetched -- when the message
just preceding is selected, its content is fetched
 from the server, when the next message following
is selected, then that message's content is fetched,
but when this particular message is selected,
even if an attempt is made to open it in a new tab
by pressing Enter, Zone Alarm shows that there is
zero traffic generated through the network card,
whereas reading any other message does generate traffic.

I have tried at least 60 times, with no success,
including intermediate steps of clearing entire cache.

The message in question is on my news server,
is 2.4K in length, and corresponds to this
view of it which can be obtained thru Google:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/4805649d5b0fdcb8?dmode=source&output=gplain

In my news server settings, all of the "Incoming" options
are unchecked, which means in particular that a new copy
of messages must be fetched from the server each time,
because message bodies are not locally stored.

I have located the file "48977.mbs" corresponding to this
message in my message store, and here is its entire content
(headers only, of course, since message bodies are not stored):

 From [email protected] Fri Dec 01 19:37:16 2006
Subject: Re: HP50g AUR (was: accessing consants in a prog)
From: mjc <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:37:16 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp48

QUESTION:

What's going on?  Why can't M2 fetch this message from
my NNTP server, when every other message can be fetched?

What can be done to work around this, when it occurs?
(transient fetch failures are actually very common,
although a permanent failure like this is unusual)

Thanks.

-[ ]-