opera.mail+news

Mail Filtering

Subject: Mail Filtering
From: Derek Parnell
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:44:14 +1000
Newsgroups: opera.mail+news
I haven't used M4 for quite awhile as I was waiting for it to mature. So,
anyway now that Opera 9.01 is out I thought I'd give it another go. But I
have tripped on a problem.

What I want is a grouping of all the emails that are for my wife and have
nothing to do with any of the other stuff the family receives. So I tried
to set up a new Filter for them. I create the filter and set
'View->Show->Show Read' and nothing else - no spam, no trash, no
newsgroups, etc... I created four rules ...

  any header contains HEIAV
  any header contains WHED
  To Header contains valda
  entire messages matches regular expression Valda

I turned on 'learn from messages ...'
and 'Mark messages as filtered'

I then clicked on 'Filter existing messages' and pressed OK.

Opera then went away adding stuff to the new filter. As far as I can see,
it got all the messages that matched the rules, but it also added many
other messages that do not match any of the rules. Why? And how do I get
rid of them without Ctrl-X each one explictly? And how can I know that new
messages will not also get mis-filtered? How stable is the M4 filtering
system? I'm getting the feeling that it still just as flakey as it was
years ago.

If I delete or change a rule, is it possible to re-filter a 'Filter' to get
it right again?

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia