opera.mail+news

Re: How to rearrange the sequence of filters

Subject: Re: How to rearrange the sequence of filters
From: "Rijk van Geijtenbeek"
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:11:41 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.mail+news
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:21:52 +0100, V S Rawat wrote:

Richard Grevers wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:24:00 +1300, V S Rawat
<VSRawat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems it files a mails under all filters which are
> satisfied by a mail.
>
> Can I make it stop the filtering at the first filter that get
> satisfied, and file the mail under that very filter,
> forgetting about next remaining filters?

No - how is Opera supposed to determine in which order the
filters should  operate.

Opera can learn from other software like Thunderbird/ Netscape/
Mozilla how a order can be defined in which the filters should
operate.

In those software, the sequence in which the filter are listed
is the sequence in which they operate. And they give the option
of moving some particular filter up and down in the sequence.

Such a system (I know what you mean, I used The Bat before I switched to Opera, and it had great filters) is only necessary if a message can only end up in one filter. That filter had better be the one were you first look for a specific message, so order is important. But with filters as dynamic views into a single message database, where messages can turn up in every view where they are relevant, the point is moot.

There are some important issues I'd like to see improved in Opera's filters, but this is not one of them.

--
           Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.
                  http://my.opera.com/Rijk/affiliate/

                                                   Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                 Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
                                Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/