opera.mail+news

Re: How to rearrange the sequence of filters

Subject: Re: How to rearrange the sequence of filters
From: "Rijk van Geijtenbeek"
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 14:42:50 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.mail+news
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:19:05 +0100, Eugene Paskevich wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:11:41 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Such a system (I know what you mean, I used The Bat before I switched to Opera, and it had great filters) is only necessary if a message can only end up in one filter. That filter had better be the one were you first look for a specific message, so order is important. But with filters as dynamic views into a single message database, where messages can turn up in every view where they are relevant, the point is moot.

Ok, but what can you, Rijk, advise on the topic about parent/child filters? Is it only for ability to narrow child filters on those mails in parent filters?
Till now I see no other use. :-(

That's right, that's probably the only use. You can created a big nested list of filters if you want, but the mail panel fails to give proper information when unread messages are contained in subfolders. And you can't drag filters around, so it's a hassle to manage a tree of filters when you change your mind.

BTW, note the mmm... "race condition" in marking messages filtered.

For example see my post with subject "Filter problem + 2 wishes".
Pity no one replied it.

Sorry, I was a bit preoccupied those days. See my blog :)

You are right, messages moved to a 'mark as filtered' filter are only hidden from Received after a restart.

--
           Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.
                  http://my.opera.com/Rijk/affiliate/

                                                   Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                 Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
                                Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/