opera.linux

Re: Opera 8.51 and Library Hell?

Subject: Re: Opera 8.51 and Library Hell?
From: "Herman Robak"
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:13:21 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.linux
På Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:58:57 +0100, skrev Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:24:01 -0500, Opera <jgitz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip anecdotes about how very easy it is to install Opera on Windows and
MacOS]

I finally got Opera to work with the shared version. It appears that
Ubuntu doesn't load everything it should on install.

Who can claim to know what it /should/ install on install?

 The package manager, which should be the default tool to be
launched when you double-click a .deb file.  For some odd reason,
that does not happen on Ubuntu Breezy: you get told that the .deb
file is an "unknown archive".  I'll file a bug on that.

For example, I never use any Qt applications other than Opera,so before I install Opera, nothing Qt-related should be installed.

 Sure, Qt does not have to be installed by default.  The nice thing
about package managers is that they can satisfy dependencies for you.
The required packages are listed right there in the package's "Depends:"
header, in a machine-readable format that the package manager understands.
It works automagically if you install packages from the distro's package
repository.  But if you want to install a single package file, some user
intervention is required.  Why?

There is no technical reason to require user intervention here.  Yet,
user intervention is required, on all distros.  I have started filing
bugs on this.  The distros need fixing.

--
 Herman Robak