opera.general

Re: "Opera has never been a really good moneymaker."

Subject: Re: "Opera has never been a really good moneymaker."
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:53:53 -0700
Newsgroups: opera.general

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:17:21 +0000
mechanic <mechanic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:02:45 -0800, LJW wrote:
>
> > Yep, some of we "old timers" may still sometimes think of it as
> > "Netscape," but there's a whole user-generation by now who don't
> > know that Firefox used to be a different brand :-).
>
> Ah the faltering memories of the "old timers"!
> The true histories of these browsers are captured in various
> Wikipedia articles.

While I think Wikipedia articles are best viewed with extreme
caution, this one about Mozilla Firefox sounds about right and is a
good example to read before talking about the "faltering memories of
the 'old timers:'"

"The Firefox project began as an experimental branch of the Mozilla
project by Dave Hyatt and Blake Ross. They believed the commercial
requirements of Netscape's sponsorship and developer-driven feature
creep compromised the utility of the Mozilla browser.[12] To combat
what they saw as the Mozilla Suite's software bloat, they created a
stand-alone browser, with which they intended to replace the Mozilla
Suite. On April 3, 2003, the Mozilla Organization announced that they
planned to change their focus from the Mozilla Suite to Firefox and
Thunderbird.[13]

The Firefox project has undergone several name changes. Originally
titled Phoenix, it was renamed because of trademark issues with Phoenix
Technologies. The replacement name, Firebird, provoked an intense
response from the Firebird free database software project.[14][15][16]
In response, the Mozilla Foundation stated that the browser should
always bear the name Mozilla Firebird to avoid confusion with the
database software. Continuing pressure from the database server's
development community forced another change; on February 9, 2004,
Mozilla Firebird became Mozilla Firefox,[17] often referred to as
simply Firefox."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox)

Gene