opera.general

Re: People do not like Opera

Subject: Re: People do not like Opera
From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 07:35:04 -0500
Newsgroups: opera.general

ceed wrote:

> ASCII <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Maybe because Opera doesn't provide enough completion to partial URLs
>> to make them valid? Try it this way - http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
>> See, no problem you lazy  head!
>
> You are right about the URL, but the site is still broken in Opera.
> For instance, click on "Retirement" or any of the main links near the
> top of the page, you are taken to some sort of site listing. Compare
> to Firefox and you'll see it's seriously broken in Opera.

That 'site listing' is the page menu, created with JavaScript. The
associated CSS for that menu is what is not being executed, so it is
styled as "just a list" rather than the buttons and drop-down choices.

There is a ton of JavaScript - 118 Kilobytes! - at the SSA site,
including a browser-sniffing procedure that checks for various versions
of (only) popular browsers. For Opera, it is looking for v.5, v.6, v.7.

There might be a catchall for any version, but I am no JavaScript
expert, and I am not about to wade through 118KB to figure out why.

IMO, it is a SSA error, not an Opera error.   ;-)

Browser sniffing is so last century...

--
   -bts