opera.general

Re: What is wrong with the Javascript on this site

Subject: Re: What is wrong with the Javascript on this site
From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:34:04 -0500
Newsgroups: opera.general

Whoosh wrote:

> Today I noticed several sites just freeze with a white page - showing
> absolutely nothing.  Before they were fine.  Reloading the page
> sometimes rectifies the problem, sometimes not.  Firefox displays it
> perfectly of course.

Several sites?  Or just the westjet one?

> But with this page I cannot get the "To" box to pop up or activate so
> I can input something in it.  The "From" box works fine.
> http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/home.shtml

There are over *9,500* lines of JavaScript on that one page. All of the
stuff you are having trouble with in those 'boxes' is related to
JavaScript. Examining it all would be a chore I would not want to
undertake. That said, it works fine in my Opera 9.64 in Ubuntu.

Other things I notice:  a) you need to accept cookies, b) you need to
accept (and allow) the distasteful ad servers at doubleclick.net (is it
in your hosts file?), and you will get serious overlap of displayed
parts if you have your preferred font size set to anything higher than
something small-to-medium. All in all, it is a poorly designed site,
from standard authoring practices.

Re your comment that it 'works in Firefox', could be different due to
individual browser settings. Here, it works in both, as expected.

--
   -bts