opera.general

Re: Opera's Command Line Syntax (Windows)

Subject: Re: Opera's Command Line Syntax Windows
From: Ed Jay
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:22:08 -0700
Newsgroups: opera.general

Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

>Op Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:21:36 +0200 schreef Ed Jay <edMbj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Opera10b under WXP-Pro/SP3.
>>
>> My goal is to have a single instance of Opera installed, but with a few
>> different Opera6.ini files, such that each uses different menus and
>> toolbars. I'm having difficulty launching Opera with different profiles
>> using the command line option '/Settings.'
>>
>> According to the Opera docs*, the command line syntax to launch with
>> different profiles is: 'Opera.exe /Settings <full path>,' and with the
>> note 'Launch with specified settings (opera6.ini) file.' I take this to
>> mean I can have multiple Opera6.ini files in path1, path2, etc., and can
>> launch Opera using a shortcut to profile 'n' with the syntax:
>> <path/>Opera.exe /Settings pathn/Opera6.ini, or alternatively,
>> <path/>Opera.exe /Settings path-to-profile/Opera6n.ini.
>>
>> I have been unable to implement this. No matter what path I put in for
>> the
>> desired Opera6.ini, I always get the original profile. What is the proper
>> syntax?
>
>The /settings parameter doesn't seem to work at all in Opera 10 beta.
>We've got a bug report about it. Personally I'd like to see it replaced
>with support for the 'personaldir' parameter as supported on Linux (that
>one is easier to work with).
>
>For now, as a workaround you could duplicate the installation folder
>instead.

Thanks, Rijk.

I finally got it playing by reinstalling Opera (9.64) as a single user and
using multiple, uniquely-named opera6.ini files.

Opera 10 relies on 'operaprefs.ini' instead of opera6.ini for user
preferences. Apparently, the /Settings option is hardwired for opera6.ini.

--
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to reply by email)

Win the War Against Breast Cancer.
Knowing the facts could save your life.