opera.general

Re: Question and feature request for irc, mails, and feeds in opera.

Subject: Re: Question and feature request for irc, mails, and feeds in opera.
From: "Rijk van Geijtenbeek"
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:17:03 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.general

Op Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:17:11 +0100 schreef Yue Wu <vanopen@xxxxxxxxx>:

Sorry for a big delay! I have checked the option that automatically fetch newsgroup articles, but seems it doesn't work quite well.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:56:48 +0800, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Op Sat, 10 Jan 2009 01:36:02 +0100 schreef Yue Wu <vanopen@xxxxxxxxx>:

1. about opera irc.

(1) irc takes so many tabs I think, at practice, I don't need irc tabs, just irc panel is enough, I can see how many new talkings at there, and switch there by quickly click the irc channel item on pannel.

I don't see a question here :)

Why? If you join many channels, then the tabs will fill full toolbar with the tabs! You don't think it's a problem?

If you follow lots of channels, than Opera's IRC doesn't offer advanced
features to help deal with it. That's not a specific question though, it is a
statement. The IRC feature is meant to be a simple solution for people with
limited IRC needs, so don't hold your breath waiting for improvements (alas).

2. about opera mail.

(1) I use opera mail as my main mail client, but opera mail doesn't have a mechanism to prevent some other guys to read my mails and using my account to sent illegal mails, so why not provide a password to protect the operamails, so if I'm away in a hurry and don't want to logout, then I can click the bottom "Prevent open tabs or pannels relative to operamail". Then the operamail is working as it would but no body can touch it only if I click the bottom "restore pretecting operamail" and provide the password I set.

Not possible in Opera, and not likely to get added either. Use a screensaver and set Windows to require a password on waking up? Or press Win+L to log out with minimum fuss.

Why not? logout can, but I want others can use my computer without logout/login, and can use my opera to surf net, just don't let them touch my mails, is it hard to implement?

Yes. Should the lock only prevent sending, or also reading? The latter would be
a bigger concern to most people, but a lock could easily be circumvented by
looking at mbs files on your harddisk if they are really curious. If you don't
trust people who can walk up to your machine, don't leave it exposed. Or, don't
let Opera save the SMTP server password. Of course, that means you'll have to
enter it each time yourself (and each time uncheck the 'remember' checkbox).

--
                                                    Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                  Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

"The most common way to get usability wrong is to listen to what users
say rather than actually watching what they do." - J.Nielsen