opera.general

Re: Cache fles not longer in htm format

Subject: Re: Cache fles not longer in htm format
From: "John H Meyers"
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:34:34 -0500
Newsgroups: opera.general

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:03:13 -0500, Ed Jay kindly added:

> I have 1,777 objects occupying 15 Mb in my cache folder.
> My dcache4.url file is about 515 Kb long.
> It seems to contain everything one would need to develop a cache 'explorer.'
> Filenames, including extensions, URL's, etc., etc.

Thanks for replying with your helpful observation.

Through some Google searching, I did find:

"Opera File Formats"
http://www.opera.com/docs/fileformats/
which includes "dcache4.url" and its format.

But at the same time,
my "cache4" directory currently contains 1385 objects,
totaling 16.1 MB, according to Windows,
and my opera:cache tab does currently occupy many full screens,
but _my_ "dcache4.url" file remains the same 20 bytes all the while,
"signifying nothing," as Shakespeare had Hamlet say :)

> It seems to contain everything one would need
> to develop a cache 'explorer.'

Unless someone convinces my copy of Opera
to start writing more into that disk file than occurs here,
no such program could accomplish anything on this computer.

Is it all fixed in 9.5, and just completely busted in my 9.27 ?

It is also, of course, rather better to be able
to point other programs (e.g. "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer")
directly at the cache -- in fact, even if I knew a file name
which did not have an extension, and knew that it contained an image,
how could I get that Windows application
to open even a single one of those individual files,
no less "browse" through all of them, as it was designed to do?
(there is not even a manual "File > Open" in that application!)

Manually search for one file at a time, then drag-and-drop, huh?
Well, that's like a reversion back to a "hand crank"
for a modern "electric car starter," as I mentioned earlier.

All the millions of dollars spent by Microsoft
to develop "Windows integration" for applications,
once very well built upon by Opera,
is now being tossed down the drain,
by Opera now discarding all its once very intelligent features
(including in "Transfers," according to what I've read here).

Perhaps it's a result of the money-earning "mobile" market
replacing any original value of a "desktop" market,
other than as an advertising vehicle for the former
(although the "desktop" version becomes a poorer advertisement
at the same time, as some of its original values are eviscerated).

--

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

Hamlet, Act V, Scene V
http://www.bartleby.com/46/4/55.html