opera.general

Re: Opera Needs to Rethink Menus Distributed with System

Subject: Re: Opera Needs to Rethink Menus Distributed with System
From: "Steve Thackery"
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:36:44 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.general

A segment of software providers, notably M$, is downgrading
menus, making them invisible in some Vista applications unless
you know to push the alternate key.

Wow! Wonderful prose, which I am saving (using my
EmailDatabase). I fully agree!

Actually, I disagree! With an application where the menus are rarely used, it makes sense to hide them by default (with a quick and easy way to make them appear, such as 'Alt').

I hardly ever use the menus on Opera - all the important stuff to me is under buttons.

I think it is wrong to assume that menus are automatically 'good' and getting rid of them is automatically 'dumbing down'. Menus are OK, but not brilliant, and I'm very open to exploring alternatives, such as Office 2007's ribbons, for instance.

Personally, I really wish I could hide (and easily make reappear) the menus in Opera. The less visual noise the better, I think.

SteveT