opera.general

Re: Change scrollbar highlight color?

Subject: Re: Change scrollbar highlight color?
From: "Lee Harvey"
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:17:45 -0500
Newsgroups: opera.general

Paul B wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:24:21 -0500, Lee Harvey wrote:
>
>> Paul B wrote:
>>> IIRC, there's a way to change the scrollbar highlight color, I
>>> think through a .css file, but I'm not finding it right now.
>>
>> Here's one of many references after Googling "scrollbar color css":
>> http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/css/article.php/3470421
>>
>> IIRC, scrollbar styling only works in Quirks mode in Opera.
>>
>> Enjoy.
>
> Thanks, but the problem is not the html code, it's where to put
> it. I don't see a controlling .css for Opera.

There's at least two ways to skin that cat (pun intended):

1) Learn how to skin Opera and set your own scrollbar style in the
corresponding skin.ini file found in your skin.zip file.

2) Leverage Opera's built-in user-stylesheet functionality, and specify
something like this:

   /* Styled scrollbar */
   BODY {
   scrollbar-base-color: orange !important;
   scrollbar-arrow-color: green !important;
   scrollbar-DarkShadow-Color: blue !important;
   }

...in your user.css file.

Note: While option 1 may be the most difficult to learn, it provides the
best user experience for all pages.  After all, option 2 may only work
correctly on "BackCompat" pages with properly formatted <BODY> tags.  To
determine if option 2 would work on a page, enter this JavaScript
bookmarklet into your address bar:

   javascript:alert(document.compatMode);

If you see "BackCompat" then there's a good chance option 2 may work.

GL & HTH

--
BTW, have you perused Opera's skins lately?
http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/