opera.general

Re: endless loop in 9.21

Subject: Re: endless loop in 9.21
From: "John H Meyers"
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 06:12:58 -0500
Newsgroups: opera.general

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:06:55 -0500, Todor wrote:

> I'm using Opera 9.21 Win.
> I try to access http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/23144

> Opera sits idle showing 0%. I hit Stop and Refresh.
> Now Opera cicles among "Document: 932 bytes",
> "Document: 2,3 KB", "Images 0/0". I'm waiting about 10 minutes
> and still see these messages and no site.
> I'm able to read the site in IE7.

> But I changed per site preference to "Mask as Internet Explorer"
> and successfully loaded the site. Then I set the option back to
> "Identify as Opera" and the site enters the endless loop again.

So they have to be "browser sniffing" and sending you different content
(or on a "wild goose chase") merely when your browser string
allows Opera to be perceived as being Opera,
since Opera is fine when the site doesn't know you use it.

Could there not also be "geographic location" sniffing,
leading to other content differences (or loops)?

It also displays fine here (9.21/8776/Win32 W2K), though
I thought I saw it "setting up secure connections" (for what?)
along the way, referencing "google analytics,"
and evidently wasting a lot of time for its own nosyness
(I can also hit ESCape or "Stop" before the end,
since all the useful content arrives before useless extras).

At the lower right corner of the page is a set of links,
one to "Xaraya," which can also be acting to throw off
requests from certain inquiries, for all we may know:

http://www.xaraya.com/
http://www.xaraya.com/index.php/news/727

With all this in effect,
it's possible for no two people to see exactly the same show,
which could further complicate an analysis.