opera.general

Re: Site Preferences frustrating

Subject: Re: Site Preferences frustrating
From: Gunnar
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:43:34 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.general
On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:30:57 +0100, Tim Altman <do.not@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 09:03:52 -0800, M Cowperthwaite <mcow@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Another thing about the Site Specific dialog issue is that the Cookie
prefs are stored in a different file from the SSPs, but the UI doesn't
make this clear.  I haven't done testing yet, but I shouldn't *have* to
test to figure out this behavior: If I go to the Site-Specific dialog
and make a change to the Cookies page (only) and click OK, do I end up
saving SSPs where I didn't want to?

No.  Cookies are the only thing stored in the cookie file.  All other
changes will be stored in the correct INI file.

You got him wrong. It's clear, that cookies are stored in cookies4.dat and SSP in override.ini. The Problem he ist talking about is, that SSP information is stored although he just wanted to store cookie settings! You can not change cookies settings in SSP-dialog without saving other SSP settings also. This is clearly a bug.

We really need a completly new SSP dialog wich allows the user to choose wich settings _exactly_ to be modified. With the current dialog it is also not possible to see wich settings are different from the standard settings. All SSP settings should have the states: active, inactive and standard (wich would be indicated through a "greyed out" state of the Option). All options wich are set to standard should be _deleted_ from the override.ini to keep the file lean and clear. There should also be some kind of visual indication if there are SSP settings stored for the currently viewed page. Ideally this would be realised through a button wich also grants access to the SSP dialog. (Think of a button like the "trash" button.)

--
Gunnar