opera.general

Re: downloading & filename extension; URL & back button; Select All; HTM

Subject: Re: downloading & filename extension; URL & back button; Select All; HTML interpretation
From: "Richard Grevers"
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:33:09 +1200
Newsgroups: opera.general
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:15:15 +1200, Richard Grevers <newsreply8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

4. Access keys don't work in Opera. They work in IE, but without
underlining the corresponding character in a button to which the
accesskey command is assigned. (I use buttons HTML 4 supports without
scripts.)

Access keys do work in Opera, but because Opera doesn't have retarded keyboard control like IE, it isn't able to devote an entire modifier key to this little-used feature. Instead, in Opera you toggle accesskey mode on and off. The default toggle is ctrl+esc, but users who use it often tend to remap it to a single key. Accesskey is now widely regarded as a failure in terms of accessibility. (because the keys used are author-specified and have to be learned for every site, and it tends to interfere with browser UI).

If you could make them work and also show underscoring, you'd be a step
ahead of IE 5.5 (I haven't tested v6).

Indication of accesskeys would be fairly simple via user css (you could even use generated content to display what the key is). you could do the same in author css.

I sent my post before looking up an example:

a[accesskey]:after {
content: " [" attr(accesskey) "]";
}

The selector grabs all <a> elements that have an accesskey attribute in
them, and applies the declaration (the part inside the {} ) after those
elements.

In this case we're creating, after every <a> with an accesskey attribute,
some new content that reads " [x]" -- where x is the actual value of the
accesskey attribute in that element.