opera.general

Re: Moving Opera from XP Profile folder

Subject: Re: Moving Opera from XP Profile folder
From: Matthew Winn
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:38:33 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: opera.general
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:12:05 +0100, Marc Wilson <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  In opera.general,  (J. Eugene Bartley) wrote in
> <Xns97B176F844C0Epequodispcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>::
> >1) XP still stuffs apps/programs in root C: instead of where you install
> >them such as F:\program files\program file.
>
>  If it does, your installation is broken.  It's down to the install pack to
>  decide where things are installed: most default to C:\program files\, but
>  most at least give you an option to change it.  I've never had one that
>  disobeyed my wishes.

I've used some products that install into C:\whatever but then allow
you to move the directory to wherever you choose because there are no
absolute paths in the files.  Why they can't just ask for a destination
I don't know.  I've never yet found a product that offers me a choice
of installation location and then ignores it.

> >2) Opera throws a link back to root C:\ regardless of where it is
> >installed.
>
>  That's a different issue; profile-based data goes in your personal profile-
>  it's irrelevant where the app is installed.  I believe you can override
>  where 'doze puts the profiles, but I've never bothered.

You can, but I've had less than 100% success with that.  Some products
(including parts of Windows itself) ignore the change and revert to
using the standard pathnames.

--
Matthew Winn
[If replying by email remove the "r" from "urk"]