opera.general

Re: Preventing caching

Subject: Re: Preventing caching
From: Matthew Winn
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:35:41 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: opera.general
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:18:21 -0700, Ed Jay <edMbj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Mark V scribed:
> >Which leads to an ugly but practical (for the OP) solution of
> >deleting all files in the cache4 location before hitting reload.
> >I think?
>
>  Exactly what I plan to do. I noted that dcache4 doesn't change size when
>  the files appear in the cache, so I'm sure all files may safely be
>  deleted.

I've never had any problems with removing files from cache by hand.
Opera appears to be smart enough to sort out any inconsistencies
silently instead of throwing up error messages.

If you don't mind me asking, what problem are you trying to solve by
forcing everything to be retrieved afresh each time?  (The reason I
ask is because a common feature of technical groups is the number of
posts where people want to achieve result X, think they might be able
to do it with method Y, so they ask "How do I do Y?" when they should
really be asking "How do I do X?")

--
Matthew Winn
[If replying by email remove the "r" from "urk"]